Useful telephone vocabulary in English.
|Making contact :
- Hello / Good morning / Good afternoon …
- This is John Brown speaking
- Could I speak to ……… please?
- I’d like to speak to ….. …..
- I’m trying to contact ……….
|Giving more information:
- I’m calling from Tokyo / Paris / New York / Sydney …
- I’m calling on behalf of Mr. X …
|Taking a call :
- X speaking.
- Can I help you?
|Asking for a name / information :
- Who’s calling please?
- Who’s speaking?
- Where are you calling from?
- Are you sure you have the right number / name?
|Asking the caller to wait :
- Hold the line please.
- Could you hold on please?
- Just a moment please.
- Thank you for holding.
- The line’s free now … I’ll put you through.
- I’ll connect you now / I’m connecting you now.
|Giving negative information:
- I’m afraid the line’s engaged. Could you call back later?
- I’m afraid he’s in a meeting at the moment.
- I’m sorry. He’s out of the office today. /
He isn’t in at the moment.
- I’m afraid we don’t have a Mr./Mrs./Ms/Miss. … here
- I’m sorry. There’s nobody here by that name.
- Sorry. I think you’ve dialed the wrong number./
I’m afraid you’ve got the wrong number.
|Telephone problems :
- The line is very bad … Could you speak up please?
- Could you repeat that please?
- I’m afraid I can’t hear you.
- Sorry. I didn’t catch that. Could you say it again please?
Taking a message :
- Can I leave / take a message?
- Would you like to leave a message?
- Could you give him/her a message?
- Could you ask him/her to call me back?
- Could you tell him/her that I called?
- Could you give me your name please?
- Could you spell that please?
- What’s your number please?